Are you an expert on communications? Are you looking an exciting opportunity to work internationally on trans, gender diverse and intersex issues? Apply today to work with us!
Title: Communication Officer
The Communications Officer has a core responsibility for strengthening and expanding GATE’s branding, marketing and communication efforts to advance our mission and vision. It reports to Executive Director and works closely with the senior management team and staff to develop short and long term communications, media and promotional strategies and, manage media relations, videos and publications and create content for a broad range of media platforms. We are looking to cover a part time position which possibilities to turn full time in the future.
Essential Job Functions:
- Develop, maintain and evaluate GATE’s communications/marketing, oversee brand identity, voice and positioning and define key organizational messaging strategy to improve the organization’s visibility and advances its goals.
- Work with colleagues to develop messages on community/movement issues and programmatic and strategic initiatives. Work with colleagues to ensure brand consistency across all marketing materials, set communications goals, institutionalize best practices, and track and report on success.
- Craft and execute proactive media outreach across all platforms including traditional, new media and social media. Execute rapid response for breaking news stories. Monitor incoming and external media across all platforms.
- Conduct all media relations (creating press advisories and releases, fielding reporter inquiries and managing press conferences). Develop and maintain relationships with bloggers and mainstream media outlets. Pitch and frame news stories. Brief, prepare and media train organization’s spokespeople.
- Serve as project manager, editor-in-chief and chief content developer for all major communications channels and publications including social media networks, mass email, annual report, brochures, videos, blogs and more. Oversee the organization’s website including writing content, managing aesthetic quality, information architecture, navigation and overall user experience.
- Align fundraising messages with organizational voice and maximize marketing initiatives to grow contributed income.
- Other duties as assigned
- At least three years’ experience in managing communications and/or marketing departments required. Trans*, Intersex and LGBT-related communications and marketing experience, especially in a global context, preferred.
- Exceptional writing, editing, verbal, and interpersonal, presentation and analytical skills required.
- Extensive experience in working with new, social and traditional media.
- Proven ability to manage websites and organizational brand strategy and identity.
- Experience in media relations including relationship building, message development, and convincing reporters and producers to create stories. Experience in crisis communications strongly desired.
- Strong ability to navigate and work with the constantly changing technology of successful communications. Experience across all social media platforms, analytics software, communications databases and online email marketing tools. Experience in using data and research to tell stories highly desired.
- Strong organizational skills including budgeting, attention to detail, ability to work well under pressure and deadlines and a strong record of making good judgment calls about communication priorities and management of resources.
- Innovative and entrepreneurial approach, including solution-oriented approaches to complex issues. Ability to learn and internalize new information, concepts and practices. Ability to think critically, analyze problems and contribute to agency leadership.
- Must have a strong commitment to GATE’s mission and be able to work in a culturally diverse and fast-paced environment.
- GATE is a virtual organization and requires staff with a strong work ethic who is highly motivated and self-disciplined to work independently.
Candidates can be based anywhere. GATE encourages trans, gender diverse and intersex people to apply.
Send CV, two references and a sample of your work based on the job functions (your choice), to firstname.lastname@example.org . Deadline: 31 July 2017.